Monday 10 June 2013

Mini-Post: Pointing the Finger at Meerkats

Apparently, the Finnish word for "meerkat" is "nelisormimangusti", or "four-fingered mongoose".

Well, well, well... I didn't know that meerkats were part of the mongoose family (to be fair, I have not spent much time considering the subject before now); nor was I aware that meerkats had just 4 fingers (toes actually) on each foot, whereas most other mongoose species have 5 toes it seems. Fascinating. Somewhat.

I might not be getting anywhere fast with the Finnish language, but I sure am making a great deal of progress in zoology.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a funny news article. The monkeys at Korkeasaari Zoo are now using Nokia Lumia smartphones :D

    http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/art-1288592813664.html

    Someone dropped their phones in the cage and now the monkeys are using it.

    ReplyDelete